Here's one reason why you photograph fireworks: to show a little celebration. This marks my 1000th Typepad blog post! How about that. It took me four-and-a-half years to get here, which averages out to about 20 posts a month. Not too shabby. Some months I did more (like the years I blogged every day in November for NaBloPoMo); some I did less (like when Jules was born). But I got here because clearly I had something to say.
That seems to pretty much always be the case.
I've tried to think of how to mark the occasion...
I could give away $1000, except I don't have $1000 to give away.
I could write a 1000 word essay about how blogging has changed my life. Eh. No doubt someone's already done that.
I could go leave 1000 comments on blog posts/Facebook updates. I think that's about how far behind I am (unpacking and organizing the house has made me a terrible blogger/friend/emailer...at least I have Google Reader helping me out).
One thousand things about me would be ridiculous. Even 100 things about me doesn't seem like much fun.
Let's go with Ten Random Things About Me and call it good.
- I started running a few weeks ago. Sarah and I decided that we needed to insert a little exercise into our day, so we thought we'd start running (after all, she's even done a marathon, so she's no stranger to running). Off we go, our double strollers leading the way. I can now say that I can successfully run 5 miles without passing out. Progress.
- I had the flu yesterday. It was terrible, and I didn't like it one bit. The upside is that I lost 2 pounds. That being said, I'd say I'm two flues away from my ideal weight.
- This has not been a good reading year for me. I've hardly done any reading at all because I've been too distracted by Life and Transitions (they rightfully deserve uppercase letters). Some people read to escape, but I don't. I need to be in a good place emotionally before I can read. Which explains why I read very little when I taught high schoolers.
- Some day I'd like to own a vacation house at the beach. If I won the lottery, a vacation house in Kauai would be nice; sans a multi-million dollar prize, I'd settle for the Oregon coast. Heck, I'd settle for just owning a house here on the farm.
- My new favorite audiobook is Charlotte's Web. I love that book more than words can say.
- I used to have my eyebrow pierced, and I've often thought of doing that again. Or maybe I'll get a tattoo on my foot. I won't tell my parents if I do get one though because they will. freak. out.
- I have never visited North or South Carolina. I'd like to, but can't think of a good reason why I should.
- My favorite ice cream is daiquiri ice (not technically an ice cream), which I think is only sold at Baskin & Robbins. One year for my birthday, my parents bought me a 10 gallon barrel of daiquiri ice. It was...a lot.
- I really wish I owned the movie P.S. I Love You. I don't know why I don't. That's not a hint for someone to get it for me; it's just an observation.
- I am very particular about having things clean. Oddly, however, I am not at all good about having things tidy. As a result, our house leans toward being messy, though very clean.
So, there you go. And if you were really itching to learn 990 more things about me, well, just peruse my archives. I can't imagine you'll get too far without discovering I'm kind of an emotionally crazy person who likes to read, tell stories, and take pictures.
Somehow my husband loves me anyway. And much to my surprise and constant delight, I think some of you folks tolerate me pretty well too. So, I'll see what I can do about writing up another 1000 posts.
Be forewarned though: I think it'll take me awhile.