First things first:
- Thank you all for your thoughtful comments about our dear Daisy. Although I cried my eyes out when I wrote that post, since then I've been able to talk about our sweet pup without crying. There's still sadness, but when I asked Sydney if she was still sad about Daisy, she said, "Yes, but I'm so happy about my new Cinderella nightgown" [that she got at Magic Kingdom]. So there's that.
- I'm still working on uploading Disney pictures to my Flickr album. I do have some posted, and hopefully will get to telling some stories.
Every year, the librarian at my school emails all the faculty and staff an article that gives us some insight into this year's (traditional) freshman class--for those students who were born in 1991.
"Members of the class of 2013 won't be surprised when they can charge a latté on their cell phone and curl up in the corner to read a textbook on an electronic screen. The migration of once independent media—radio, TV, videos and CDs—to the computer has never amazed them. They have grown up in a politically correct universe in which multi-culturalism has been a given. It is a world organized around globalization, with McDonald's everywhere on the planet. Carter and Reagan are as distant to them as Truman and Eisenhower were to their parents. Tattoos, once thought 'lower class,' are, to them, quite chic. Everybody knows the news before the evening news comes on."
The "Mindset List" is compiled by Beloit College, and they've been doing this for twelve years now. I think teaching must keep me feeling younger than I am because I managed to read through the list and not feel *too* old. Except the above reference to Reagan. I have very strong (and sentimental) feelings toward him.
Here are some of my personal favorites from the list:
- Dan Rostenkowski, Jack Kevorkian, and Mike Tyson have always been felons.
- The Green Giant has always been Shrek, not the big guy picking vegetables.
- They have never used a card catalog to find a book.
- Tattoos have always been very chic and highly visible.
- They have been preparing for the arrival of HDTV all their lives.
- Rap music has always been main stream.
- Chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream has always been a flavor choice.
- The KGB has never officially existed.
- Babies have always had a Social Security Number.
- They have never had to “shake down” an oral thermometer.
- Bungee jumping has always been socially acceptable.
- They have never understood the meaning of R.S.V.P.
- American students have always lived anxiously with high-stakes educational testing.
- State abbreviations in addresses have never had periods.
- The European Union has always existed.
- McDonald's has always been serving Happy Meals in China.
- Christopher Columbus has always been getting a bad rap.
- They have always been able to read books on an electronic screen.
- Women have always outnumbered men in college.
- We have always watched wars, coups, and police arrests unfold on television in real time.
- Belarus, Moldova, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Armenia, Latvia, Georgia, Lithuania, and Estonia have always been independent nations.
- There have always been flat screen televisions.
- They have always eaten Berry Berry Kix.
- Disney’s Fantasia has always been available on video, and It’s a Wonderful Life has always been on Moscow television.
- Smokers have never been promoted as an economic force that deserves respect.
- Elite American colleges have never been able to fix the price of tuition.
- Everyone has always known what the evening news was before the Evening News came on.
- Britney Spears has always been heard on classic rock stations.
- They have never been Saved by the Bell
- Someone has always been asking: “Was Iraq worth a war?”
- Most communities have always had a mega-church.
- There has always been a computer in the Oval Office.
- Official racial classifications in South Africa have always been outlawed.
- Conflict in Northern Ireland has always been slowly winding down.
- There has always been blue Jell-O.
Any here stand-out to you? For me...21 and 29. No Czechoslovakia? No Screech? Amazing.
Read all 75 here.